ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 306




                                               

Sharon, Georgia

The community of Sharon is visible on maps as early as 1865. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Sharon as a town in 1884. The community is named after the Plain of Sharon, a place mentioned in the Hebrew Bible. In the 1890-ies Sharon was b ...

                                               

Shellman, Georgia

Shellman is a city in Randolph County, Georgia, United States. The population was 1.166 at the 2000 census. Buildings in the commercial center have been designated as an historic district and listed in 1985 on the National Register of Historic Pl ...

                                               

Shiloh, Georgia

Shiloh is a city on the northeastern edge of Harris County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Columbus, Georgia–Alabama Metropolitan Statistical Area. As of the 2010 census, the population was 445.

                                               

Sky Valley, Georgia

Sky Valley is a city in Rabun County, Georgia, United States and is nestled in a mountain valley on the northwest slopes of Rabun Bald, Georgias second-highest peak. Incorporated in March 1978, it recorded a total population of 250 as of the 2000 ...

                                               

Smithville, Georgia

Smithville is a city in Lee County, Georgia, United States. The population was 575 at the 2020 census, down from 774 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Albany, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Social Circle, Georgia

It is unclear why the name "Social Circle" was applied to this place. According to tradition, Social Circle was named from an incident in which a group of people living in the settlement offered water to a weary traveler, whose response was "This ...

                                               

Stapleton, Georgia

An early variant name was "Spread". The Georgia General Assembly incorporated the place as the "Town of Spread" in 1903. Stapleton derives its current name from Colonel James Stapleton.

                                               

Statham, Georgia

Statham is located in eastern Barrow County at 33°57′56″N 83°35′48″W 33.965496, -83.596711, 13 miles 21 km west of Athens. According to the Bureau of US census, the town has a total area of 3.6 square miles, 9.3 km 2, of which 3.5 square miles 9. ...

                                               

Stillmore, Georgia

Stillmore is a city in Emanuel County, Georgia, United States. The population was 532 at the 2010 census, down from 730 in 2000. It is home to David Emanuel Academy DEA and David Emanuel Academy eagles who won the gisa state championship in baske ...

                                               

Stockbridge, Georgia

Stockbridge is a city in Henry County, Georgia, United States. As of the 2010 census the population was 25.637, up from 9.853 in 2000. STOCKBRIDGE is part of the Metropolitan area of Atlanta.

                                               

Sugar Hill, Georgia

Sugar Hill is a city in northern Gwinnett County in the U.S. state of Georgia and is part of the Atlanta metropolitan area. The population was 18.522 as of the 2010 census, making it the fourth-largest city in Gwinnett County. As of 2018, the est ...

                                               

Summertown, Georgia

Summertown is located in northern Emanuel County at 32°44′48″N 82°16′34″W 32.746532, -82.276182. Georgia State Route 56 passes through the east side of the city limits, leading north 5 miles 8 km to Midville and south 11 miles 18 km to Swainsboro ...

                                               

Sunny Side, Georgia

A post office called Sunny Side was established in 1871. The name "Sunny Side" was commendatorily applied to this place. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Sunny Side as a town in 1897.

                                               

Suwanee, Georgia

Suwanee is a city in Gwinnett County in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 15.355, this had grown to an estimated 20.569 as of 2018. Suwanee was the practicing home of the Atlanta Falcons football team from 1979 ...

                                               

Sycamore, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Sycamore as a town in 1891. The community was named for the American sycamore trees near the original town site.

                                               

Tallapoosa, Georgia

Tallapoosa is located in Haralson County, in northwest Georgia, approximately 55 miles 89 km west of Atlanta, 4 miles 6 km north of Interstate 20, and 4 miles east of the Alabama state line. Its geographic coordinates are 33°45′N 85°17′W 33.7437, ...

                                               

Temple, Georgia

The name "Temple" was adopted in 1883 when the railroad was extended to the settlement, after one Mr. Temple, a railroad official. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Temple as a town in 1883.

                                               

Tennille, Georgia

Tennille is located at 32°56′17″N 82°48′38″W 32.938174, -82.810582. According to the Bureau of US census, the town has a total area of 1.7 sq km 4.4 km 2, of which 4.4 square miles 1.7 km 2 of Land and 0.58 percent is water.

                                               

Twin City, Georgia

Twin City gets its name from the combining of two adjacent towns, Graymont and Summit. The two rival towns were merged in 1924 as Twin City. The twin cities of 3.6 square miles 9.3 km 2 area, 255 acres 1.03 km 2 included in the twinned district, ...

                                               

Ty Georgia

Ty is a city in Tift County, Georgia, United States. The population was 716 at the 2000 census. The community takes its name from nearby Ty Creek.

                                               

Tybee Island, Georgia

Tybee Island is a city and a barrier island located in Chatham County, Georgia, 18 miles east of Savannah, United States. Though the name "Tybee Island" is used for both the island and the city, geographically they are not identical: only part of ...

                                               

Unadilla, Georgia

Unadilla is a city in Dooly County, Georgia, United States. The population was 3.796 at the 2010 census, up from 2.772 in 2000. Dooly State Prison is located in the northeast corner of the city.

                                               

Union City, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Union City in 1908. One source claims that the town was named for the union of rails at a railroad junction, while another version states the name commemorates a "Farmers Union" which once was headquarter ...

                                               

Union Point, Georgia

Union City was laid out in 1834, when the railroad was extended to that point. The name "Union City" reflects the fact a railroad junction "union" of rails met at the site. In Georgia, the General Assembly included Union point as a city in 1904.

                                               

Uvalda, Georgia

Uvalda is a city in Montgomery County, Georgia, United States. The population was 530 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Vidalia Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Varnell, Georgia

Varnell is a city in Whitfield County, Georgia, United States. It is part of the Dalton, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 1.744 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Vidalia, Georgia

Vidalia is a city located primarily in Toombs County, Georgia, United States. The city also extends very slightly into Montgomery County. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 10.473. Vidalia this is the Vidalia statistical area the sear ...

                                               

Vidette, Georgia

Vidette is a city in Burke County, Georgia, United States. The population was 112 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Augusta, Georgia metropolitan area.

                                               

Waco, Georgia

Waco is a city in Haralson County, Georgia, United States, located near the Alabama state line. The population was 516 at the 2010 census, up from 469 at the 2000 census.

                                               

Wadley, Georgia

The community was named for William Morill Wadley, a railroad official. The Georgia General Assembly enabled Wadley in the city in 1876. It was incorporated as a city in 1970.

                                               

Waleska, Georgia

The first white settlement in the Waleska area began in the early 1830s. Among these first pioneer settlers were the Reinhardt, Heard and Rhyne families, who moved into the region looking for fresh, fertile farm land. At first, these settlers liv ...

                                               

Walthourville, Georgia

Walthourville is a city in Liberty County, Georgia, United States. When it was incorporated in 1974, it had a government entirely composed of women, and in 1978 it elected Carrie Kent, the first African-American woman mayor in Georgia history. Wa ...

                                               

Warwick, Georgia

Warwick is a city in Worth County, Georgia, United States. The population was 430 at the 2000 census. It is part of the Albany, Georgia Metropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

West Point, Georgia

West Point is a city in Troup and Harris counties in the U.S. state of Georgia. It is located approximately halfway between Montgomery, Alabama and Atlanta along Interstate 85. As of the 2010 census, it had a population of 3.474, and in 2015 the ...

                                               

Whigham, Georgia

The community was named after Robert Whigham, a local merchant. The Georgia General Assembly included in the Whigham city in 1896. He was again incorporated as a city in 1970.

                                               

White Plains, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated White Plains in 1834. According to tradition, White Plains was so named on account of their white sandy soil.

                                               

White, Georgia

White is a city in Bartow County, Georgia, United States. The population was 670 at the 2010 census. White is located along U.S. highway 411, 3 miles 5 km to the North of interstate 75. Is a bedroom community of CARTERSVILLE which is located 9 mi ...

                                               

Willacoochee, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Willacoochee as a town in 1889. Willacoochee is a name derived from the Creek language meaning "home of the wildcats".

                                               

Williamson, Georgia

The community was named after Isaac Henry Williamson, an early settler. The Georgia General Assembly included Williamson as a city in 1908. Williamson was incorporated as a city in 1970.

                                               

Winterville, Georgia

Winterville is a city in Clarke County, Georgia, United States. Since 1991, Winterville has been the only municipality located wholly within Athens-Clarke County. The population was 1.122 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Woodbury, Georgia

The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Woodbury in 1913. The community most likely was named after Levi Woodbury 1789–1851, American justice on the United States Supreme Court.

                                               

Woodland, Georgia

Woodland is located at 32°47′15″N 84°33′40″W 32.787594, -84.561018. According to the census Bureau United States, the city has a total area of 0.8 square miles 2.1 km2, all land.

                                               

Woodstock, Georgia

Woodstock is a city in Cherokee County, Georgia, United States. The population was 23.896 at the 2010 census. Originally a stop on the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, Woodstock is part of the Atlanta metropolitan area. In 2007 it was the tenth ...

                                               

Woodville, Georgia

According to tradition Woodville was so named from the fact it was a shipping point of wood. The Georgia General Assembly incorporated Woodville as a city in 1911.

                                               

Wrens, Georgia

Wrens is a city in Jefferson County, Georgia, United States. The population was 2.187 at the 2010 census. It is located on U.S. Route 1, thirty miles south of Augusta.

                                               

Young Harris, Georgia

Young Harris is a city in Towns County, Georgia, United States. The population was 604 at the 2000 census. Young Harris is home to Young Harris College, after which it was named.

                                               

Alapaha, Georgia

Alapaha is a town in Berrien County, Georgia, United States, along the Alapaha River. As of the 2010 census, the city had a population of 668. Alapaha established shopping settlement on the site of Seminole village with the same name. In modern-d ...

                                               

Aldora, Georgia

Aldora is located in south-central Lamar County at 33°2′57″N 84°10′32″W 33.049078, -84.175552. It is bordered to the east by Barnesville, the county seat. The state of Georgia of route 18 passes along the southern side of the city, leading East t ...

                                               

Alston, Georgia

Alston is a town in Montgomery County, Georgia, United States, with a population of 159 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Vidalia Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Alto, Georgia

Alto is a town in Banks and Habersham counties in the U.S. state of Georgia. As of the 2010 census, the town had a population of 1.172, up from 876 at the 2000 census.