ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 289




                                               

Du Bois, Nebraska

Du Bois, locally pronounced "do-boys", is a village in the southeast corner of Pawnee County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 147 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Dunbar, Nebraska

Dunbar is located at 40°40′4″N 96°1′47″W 40.667826, -96.029697. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.23 square miles 0.60 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Dunning, Nebraska

Dunning is located at 41°49′40″N 100°6′15″W 41.827721, -100.104090. It is located at the confluence of the Middle Loup to the North and the dark river to the South. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.23 squ ...

                                               

Dwight, Nebraska

Dwight was started in 1887 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was extended to that point. The fact that a large share of the early settlers were natives of Dwight, Illinois caused the name to be selected.

                                               

Eagle, Nebraska

Eagle was platted in 1886 when the Missouri Pacific Railroad was extended to that point. An early variant name was "Sunlight". The present name is likely for the wild eagles observed by the first settlers.

                                               

Eddyville, Nebraska

Eddyville is a village in Dawson County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lexington, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 97 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Edison, Nebraska

The first post office in Edison was established in 1880, and was named for Edward "Eddie" Rohr, the postmasters son. Edison was incorporated as a village in 1907.

                                               

Elba, Nebraska

Elba is a village in Howard County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 215 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Grand Island, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Elk Creek, Nebraska

Elk Creek had its start in about 1873 by the building of the Atchison and Nebraska Railroad through that territory. It took its name from Elk Creek nearby, which was named for the elk once seen there.

                                               

Elm Creek, Nebraska

Elm Creek is a village in Buffalo County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Kearney, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 901 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Elsie, Nebraska

Elsie was established in about 1887 when the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroad was extended to that point. Elsie was the name of the daughter of CB&amp,Q president Charles Elliott Perkins. Several of Elsies streets were given railroad-relat ...

                                               

Elyria, Nebraska

Elyria was originally called Eldon, and under the latter name was established in 1888 when the railroad was extended to that point. It was renamed when it was discovered that another Eldon already existed in Nebraska.

                                               

Emerson, Nebraska

Emerson is a village in Dakota, Dixon, and Thurston counties in the U.S. state of Nebraska. The population was 840 at the 2010 census. Emerson is the only community in Nebraska that exists in three counties. Dakota County and parts of Dixon Emers ...

                                               

Emmet, Nebraska

Emmet was founded in 1882 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was extended to that point. It was named after Irish nationalist Robert Emmet. Like much of Holt County, the Emmet area is well suited for the production of wild hay ...

                                               

Endicott, Nebraska

Endicott was platted in 1880 at the junction of the St. Joseph and Western and Chicago, Burlington and Quincy Railroads. It was named for William Crowninshield Endicott, the United States Secretary of War in the Administration of President Grover ...

                                               

Ericson, Nebraska

Ericson was platted in 1886 by the C.B.& Q. railroad when the railroads line to Greeley was extended to that location. It was named for Christensen Erickson, the original owner of the town site. The town grew slowly, and the first depot agent, na ...

                                               

Eustis, Nebraska

Eustis had its start in the year 1886 by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named for Percy Sprague Eustis, a railroad official. Eustis was incorporated as a village in 1888.

                                               

Ewing, Nebraska

Ewing was platted in 1882 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for its postmaster, James Ewing.

                                               

Exeter, Nebraska

In 1870, Dr. Horace Greeley Smith and his wife filed a homestead claim at the site of present-day Exeter. In an earlier scouting trip, Smith had determined that the site would lie near the line of the Burlington and Missouri River Railroad as it ...

                                               

Fairmont, Nebraska

Fairmont was platted in 1871 when the Burlington & Quincy Railroad was extended to that point. The name was chosen to conform with the alphabetical stops on the new line traveling westward from Lincoln: Berks, Crete, Dorchester, Exeter, Fairmont, ...

                                               

Farnam, Nebraska

Farnam is a village in Dawson County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lexington, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 171 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Farwell, Nebraska

Farwell is a village in Howard County, Nebraska, United States. The population was 122 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Grand Island, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Filley, Nebraska

Filley was platted in 1883 when the railroad was extended to that point. It was named for its founder, Elijah Filley. Elijah Filley stone barn in Filley is listed on the national register of historic places. He supported the local historical soci ...

                                               

Firth, Nebraska

Firth is a village in Lancaster County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lincoln, Nebraska Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 590 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Fordyce, Nebraska

Fordyce is located at 42°41′53″N 97°21′47″W 42.698060, -97.363029. According to the Bureau of US census, the village has a total area of 0.14 square miles 0.36 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Foster, Nebraska

Foster is a village in Pierce County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Norfolk, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 51 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Funk, Nebraska

Funk is located at 40°27′49″N 99°15′0″W 40.463724, -99.249915. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.26 square miles of 0.67 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Gandy, Nebraska

Gandy is a village in Logan County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the North Platte, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 32 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Garrison, Nebraska

Garrison was laid out ca. the late 1870s when the railroad was extended to that point. It was named for abolitionist William Lloyd Garrison. A post office was established in the garrison of in 1880, and remained in operation until it was disconti ...

                                               

Gilead, Nebraska

Gilead is located at 40°8′44″N 97°24′55″W 40.145659, -97.415230. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.07 square miles 0.18 km2, all of it land.

                                               

Giltner, Nebraska

Giltner is located at 40°46′24″N 98°9′15″W 40.773374, -98.154279. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.39 square miles 1.01 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Glenvil, Nebraska

Glenvil is a village in Clay County, Nebraska, United States. The settlement has formerly also been known as Glenville. The population was 310 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Hastings, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area.

                                               

Goehner, Nebraska

Goehner is a village in Seward County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lincoln, Nebraska Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 154 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Grafton, Nebraska

Grafton was founded in 1874. It was likely named after the town of Grafton, Massachusetts. The name was also chosen to conform with the alphabetical stops on the new Burlington & Quincy Railroad line traveling westward from Lincoln: Berks, Crete, ...

                                               

Greenwood, Nebraska

Greenwood was founded in about 1869 when the Burlington & Missouri River Railroad was extended to that point. The community was named after Silas Greenwood, a pioneer settler.

                                               

Gresham, Nebraska

Gresham was originally called Poston, and under the latter name was platted in 1887 when the Fremont, Elkhorn and Missouri Valley Railroad was extended to that point. When it was discovered there was another place in the state with the name Posto ...

                                               

Guide Rock, Nebraska

The first settlement at Guide Rock was made in 1870. Guide Rock was platted in 1873. The town was named after Guide Rock, a hill on the opposite bank of the Republican River. Historical marker near the village traces of the former site of a large ...

                                               

Gurley, Nebraska

Gurley is located at 41°19′21″N 102°58′25″W 41.322523, -102.973728. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.19 square miles of 0.49 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Hadar, Nebraska

Hadar is a village in Pierce County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Norfolk, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 293 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Haigler, Nebraska

Haigler is located at 40°0′45″N 101°56′20″W 40.012404, -101.938981. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.24 square miles 0.62 km2, all land.

                                               

Hallam, Nebraska

Hallam is a village in Lancaster County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Lincoln, Nebraska Metropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 213 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Halsey, Nebraska

Halsey is located at 41°54′9″N 100°16′5″W 41.902625, -100.268114, mostly in Thomas County. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.19 square miles of 0.49 km2, all land.

                                               

Hamlet, Nebraska

Hamlet was originally called Hudson, and under the latter name a post office was established in 1890. In order to avoid repetition with another Hudson in the state, the town was renamed Hamlet in 1904 as it constituted a rural hamlet.

                                               

Hampton, Nebraska

In 1879, Joshua Cox founded Hampton and circulated a petition for the railroad to be built through the town. On June 19, 1891, Cox and his brother James Cox were the first stockmen to ship cattle from the US to Liverpool, England.

                                               

Harbine, Nebraska

Harbine was established in 1886 when the Chicago, Rock Island, and Pacific Railroad was extended to that point. It was named for its founder, Thomas Harbine.

                                               

Hardy, Nebraska

Hardy was platted in 1880 when the railroad was extended to that point. It was named for a railroad official. In 1991 the game company SEGA releases The Sonic Bible, which named Hardy as the canonical hometown of Sonny" Sonic” the Hedgehog.

                                               

Hazard, Nebraska

Hazard is located at 41°5′25″N 99°4′37″W 41.090144, -99.077041. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.26 square miles of 0.67 km2, all land.

                                               

Heartwell, Nebraska

Heartwell is a village in Kearney County, Nebraska, United States. It is part of the Kearney, Nebraska Micropolitan Statistical Area. The population was 71 at the 2010 census.

                                               

Hemingford, Nebraska

Hemingford is located at 42°19′12″N 103°4′25″W 42.320048, -103.073475. According to the Bureau the U.S. census, the village has a total area of 0.68 square miles 1.76 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Hendley, Nebraska

Hendley was named by the railroad in 1887 when they built a new line to a small settlement called Lyndon that had existed since the 1870s. A post office was established in Handley in 1888, and not in a detached building, still operates in a small ...