ⓘ Free online encyclopedia. Did you know? page 256




                                               

Arma, Kansas

Arma was founded in 1894. It was named for W.F. Armacost, an original landowner. A post office was opened at Arma in 1891, and remained in operation until it was discontinued in 1906. ARMA was a station on the railroad Missouri Pacific.

                                               

Assaria, Kansas

Assaria is located at 38°40′49″N 97°36′15″W 38.680374, -97.604029. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.19 square miles 0.49 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Atlanta, Kansas

Atlanta is located at 37°26′7″N 96°46′7″W 37.435287, -96.768672. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.50 square miles 1.29 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summe ...

                                               

Attica, Kansas

Attica is a town in Harper County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 626. The town was named after the historical region of Attica, in Greece.

                                               

Auburn, Kansas

In July 1854, John W. Brown came to this area and found it highly suitable for a homestead. He acquired 800 acres 3.2 km 2 through bartering with local Indians. He later returned home to Missouri to tell his family and friends about the area. Som ...

                                               

Aurora, Kansas

In 1887, Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway built a branch line from Neva 3 miles west of Strong City through Aurora to Superior, Nebraska. In 1996, the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway merged with Burlington Northern Railroad and renamed ...

                                               

Axtell, Kansas

The first settlements were made at Axtell in the 1860s. The first post office in Axtell was established in December 1871. Axtell was laid out in 1872 when the railroad was extended to that point, and a railroad depot was built that year. It was n ...

                                               

Barnard, Kansas

Barnard is located at 39°11′21″N 98°2′35″W 39.189213, -98.043078. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.22 square miles 0.57 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summ ...

                                               

Barnes, Kansas

Barnes was originally called Elm Grove when it was founded in 1870. It was renamed Barnes in 1876 in honor of A. S. Barnes, a stockholder of the Central Branch Union Pacific Railroad Barnes station and shipping point on the railroad, Missouri Pac ...

                                               

Bartlett, Kansas

Bartlett was platted in June 1886. It was named for one of its founders, Robert A. Bartlett. The first post office in Bartlett was established in September 1886. Bartlett was located on the Missouri Pacific railroad.

                                               

Baxter Springs, Kansas

Baxter Springs is a city in Cherokee County, Kansas, United States, and located along Spring River. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 4.238, it is the most populous city of Cherokee County.

                                               

Bazine, Kansas

Bazine was a station and shipping point on the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. The community was named for the French general François Achille Bazaine. The first post office in Bazine was established in 1874.

                                               

Beattie, Kansas

Beattie is a city in Marshall County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 200. The city has been called "The Milo Capital of the World" and hosts the annual "Beattie Milo Festival".

                                               

Belle Plaine, Kansas

Belle Plaine was founded in 1871. Belle Plaine is a French name meaning "beautiful plain". In 1883, Belle Plaine was a station and shipping point for the Southern Central & Fort Scott Railway. By 1910, it was at the junction of two railroads, the ...

                                               

Belpre, Kansas

Belpre was founded in 1879. It was incorporated in 1906. Belpre is derived from the French word "belle prairie" for "beautiful meadow". The first post office in Belpre was founded in 1879.

                                               

Belvue, Kansas

Belvue is located at 39°12′58″N 96°10′43″W 39.216225, -96.178480. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.12 square miles 0.31 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Benedict, Kansas

Benedict had its start in the year 1866 by the building of the railroad through that territory. Benedict was laid out at the junction of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway and the Missouri Pacific Railroad. It was named for S. S. Benedict.

                                               

Bennington, Kansas

Bennington was platted in 1878 and grew to a population of over 200 within three years. The city name comes from one of two sources. A paper written on the history of Bennington states that Bennington is an Indian name meaning "place of fine tree ...

                                               

Benton, Kansas

Benton was founded in 1884. It was named for Thomas Benton Murdock, a state politician. Benton was incorporated as a city in 1908. In 1969, part of the film Gypsy moth was shot in the Benton area.

                                               

Bern, Kansas

Bern had its start in the late 1880s by the building of the railroad through that territory. It was named by Swiss immigrants after Bern, the capital of Switzerland.

                                               

Beverly, Kansas

Beverly was first settled in 1886, and it was incorporated as a city in 1904. The city was named after Beverly, West Virginia, the native home of a pioneer settler.

                                               

Bird City, Kansas

Bird City was founded in 1885. It was named for Benjamin Bird, a cattleman. The surrounding area was originally used predominately for livestock grazing. Bird city was built a station and shipping point on the Chicago, Burlington and Quincy railroad.

                                               

Bison, Kansas

Bison is a city in Rush County, Kansas, United States, named for the native large ungulate of the region. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 255.

                                               

Blue Mound, Kansas

Blue Mound is a city in Linn County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 275. It is part of the Kansas City metropolitan area.

                                               

Blue Rapids, Kansas

The first endeavor to establish a town below the junction of the rivers, in 1857, failed due to misfortunes of two of the three participants. No further attempt to utilize the impressive water power was made until 1869–1870, when a colony of abou ...

                                               

Bluff City, Kansas

Bluff City was founded about 1879. The community took its name from Bluff Creek, which flows past it. The town of bluff at the station and shipping point on the Kansas southwestern railway.

                                               

Brewster, Kansas

Brewster was named for L.D. Brewster, a railroad official. Brewster was a station and shipping point on the Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific Railroad. The first post office in Brewster was created in September 1888.

                                               

Bronson, Kansas

Bronson was founded in the 1880s. The first store and post office opened in September 1881. The city was formerly named Wilsonville, but it was later renamed after Ira Bronson, a Fort Scott attorney. Bronson was moved to its current location when ...

                                               

Brookville, Kansas

Brookville was laid out in 1870 when the Kansas Pacific Railway was extended to that point. The first post office in Brookville was established in February 1870.

                                               

Brownell, Kansas

Brownell was a station on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The community was named for Mr. Brownell, a railroad official. The first post office in Brownell was created in 1880, but the post office called Vansburgh until 1888.

                                               

Bucklin, Kansas

The community was originally called Corbitt when it was laid out about 1885. It was renamed Bucklin in 1887, after Bucklin Township. Bucklin was registered in 1909. It was located at the junction of two railroads.

                                               

Buffalo, Kansas

Buffalo was founded in 1867. It took its name from Buffalo Creek, which was named after the American bison, commonly known as the buffalo. The first store in Buffalo was opened in 1869, the first hotel in 1870. The growth of Buffalo in 1886, when ...

                                               

Buhler, Kansas

The first post office in Buhler was established in 1888. Buhler was mostly inhabited by families of Mennonites who emigrated from Russia in 1880. In September 2012, in the city of Buhler received a letter from the Freedom from religion Foundation ...

                                               

Burden, Kansas

In 1879, in anticipation of the coming of the Kansas City, Lawrence and Southern Railroad, the town of Burden was surveyed and laid out by a town company including Robert F. Burden, for whom the town is named. The railroad, whose name changed to ...

                                               

Burdett, Kansas

Burdett was a station and shipping point on the division of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway that ran from Larned to Jetmore. The community was named for the American humorist writer Robert Jones Burdette. A post office was opened in Bro ...

                                               

Burr Oak, Kansas

Burr Oak was laid out in 1871, and it was incorporated as a city in 1880. It was named from the Burr Oak Creek. The first post office in Burr oak was established in June, 1871.

                                               

Burrton, Kansas

Burrton is a city in Harvey County, Kansas, United States. It is named after Isaac T. Burr, former vice-president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 901.

                                               

Bushong, Kansas

The city, originally a whistle-stop of the Missouri Pacific Railroad, was first named Weeks. The city took its present name in 1886 in honor of St. Louis Browns catcher Albert J. "Doc" Bushong. Following the Browns victory in the 1886 World Serie ...

                                               

Bushton, Kansas

Bushton was originally called Sorghum, and under the latter name established in the early 1880s. It was renamed Bushton in 1887, after a number of wild bushes growing at the town site. Bushton was incorporated in 1907.

                                               

Byers, Kansas

Byers is located at 37°47′16″N 98°52′2″W 37.787830, -98.867114. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.19 square miles 0.49 km 2, all of it land.

                                               

Caldwell, Kansas

Near Caldwell is a precontact Plains Village period settlement called the Buresh site, which has yielded clues about Native American lifeways prior to the arrival of people of European and African descent. Caldwell was founded in 1871. It is name ...

                                               

Cambridge, Kansas

Like many towns in Kansas, Cambridge owes its existence to a railroad. When the Kansas City, Lawrence & Southern Railroad was built a mile south of Lazette, a new site was organized by Benjamin H. Clover and plotted on May 3, 1880 and the town na ...

                                               

Caney, Kansas

Caney was founded in 1869. It was named from the Caney River. The first post office in Caney was established in May 1870. In 1887 a railroad was built through Kania, and in the same year the city was incorporated. Kania has long been associated w ...

                                               

Canton, Kansas

For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th century to 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian ...

                                               

Carlton, Kansas

For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th century to 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian ...

                                               

Cassoday, Kansas

Cassoday is a city in Butler County, Kansas, United States. It is known as the "Prairie Chicken Capital of the World". As of the 2010 census, the city population was 129.

                                               

Cawker City, Kansas

Cawker City is a city in Mitchell County, Kansas, United States. As of the 2010 census, the city population was 469. The city is located along the north shore of Waconda Lake and Glen Elder State Park. This is one of several places claiming that ...

                                               

Cedar Point, Kansas

For many millennia, the Great Plains of North America was inhabited by nomadic Native Americans. From the 16th century to 18th century, the Kingdom of France claimed ownership of large parts of North America. In 1762, after the French and Indian ...

                                               

Cedar Vale, Kansas

Cedar Vale is located at 37°6′18″N 96°30′3″W 37.104892, -96.500844. According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.76 square miles 1.97 km 2, all of it land. The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid su ...

                                               

Cedar, Kansas

Cedar was a station and shipping point on the Missouri Pacific Railroad. The first post office in Pine was created in 1871, but it was named Cedarville until 1906.